When it comes to building REST APIs we are often confronted to common and repetitive technical issues. That led me to try to industrialize and factorize the creation of REST API solutions.
Visual Studio 2017 REST API Template for .NET Core is the first attempt of building a Visual Studio 2017 project template (solution template actually) for creating a complete .NET Core 2.1.x solution fully usable.
- Very simple to use
- Repeatable structure (easier to handle, understand and maintain)
- Allows to concentrate effort on creating value (business value most of the time)
How to install it?
Through a web browser
- Go to Visual Studio Marketplace.
- Download the VSIX file, double-click on it and follow the instructions.
Through Visual Studio
- Open Visual Studio 2017.
- Go to Tools -> Extensions & Updates.
- Look for the Extension (for instance, by “.Net Core”).
- Once found, click the Download button.
What does the project template do?
Once the template installed, when we go to File -> New Project, we should see the screen below:
Many inputs can be customized:
- Solution name
After clicking on “Ok”, a Visual Studio solution is created with the structure below:
It is what it is; I guess the proposed structure can be discussed, reviewed, completed, etc. I am open to discussions :). The purpose was to propose something usable, simple, fulfilling common REST API projects technical requirements (from the production point of view) and allowing to focus most of our effort on creating business value.
Feel free to change the content, adapt it to your requirements (you should ;)) or to provide feedback in order to evolve the template and share that capitalization.